This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to monitor and control traffic with portable traffic control devices and temporary traffic signs according to traffic management plans and traffic guidance schemes.
In QLD you can not operate a Portable Traffic Control Device unless you hold a QLD Traffic Control Industry Authority Card.
This Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Assessment has been created specifically for people experienced in traffic control and who have had work place experience in the setup and operation of portable traffic control devices. In order to be considered for RPL you will need to submit evidence contained on the PREREQUISITES tab below.
What is Recognition of Prior Learning?
Recognition of prior learning is all about the skills and knowledge that you’ve collected through work and life experiences and then transferring them to current training course requirements. For example, working in an office could help you get a certificate in business administration. Working on a farm could count towards a qualification in agriculture or mechanics. Working as a volunteer with teenagers may get you a certificate in youth work. RPL applies for both paid and unpaid work.
How does the process work?
Your skills will be assessed against industry standards. This is done by an RPL assessor. You may be asked to:
The assessor will consider your skills and knowledge and match them against a suitable qualification.
1. Prepare to control traffic
2. Control traffic
3. Conduct housekeeping activities
This Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Assessment has been created specifically for people experienced in traffic control and who have had work place experience in the setup and operation of portable traffic control devices. In order to be considered for RPL you will need to submit evidence below.
Statement of Attainments:
RIIWHS205E – Control Traffic With A Stop Slow Bat, issued by a QLD Department of Transport and Main Roads approved Registered Training Organisation.
RIICOM201E – Communicate in the workplace.
RIIWHS201E – Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures.
CPCCWHS1001 – Prepare to work safely in the construction industry.
Licenses and Cards:
Construction Industry White General Construction Induction Card
Traffic Control license/Industry Authority Card.
Employment Evidence: letter from employer, pay slips,
2 x Job packs which include:
- Traffic Guidance Scheme (TGS) showing a portable traffic control device such as a Portable Traffic SIgnal System Type1 (PTSS1).
- Risk Assessment related to the TGS
- Dockets Related to the TGS
- Photos of PTSS1 or devices setup
- Equipment checks or defect reports
This RPL assessment will be conducted 100% online, You will be required to:
- Submit evidence via an online portal which would include photos and documents.
- Complete a short Quiz online.
RIIWHS206 Control traffic with Portable Traffic Control Devices and Temporary Traffic Signs
Resources you will require for the course are:
- Computer and printer
- Internet access for research and information
- Access and application of Microsoft office word and adobe pdf reader is essential.
- The ability to watch MP4 videos
- Commitment and environment conducive to self-paced study